January 28, 2011

Leafy greens

Often I will get a whole bunch of paperwhite bulbs started for my sister's Christmas gift. Inspired by all the buckeyes I was using to decorate wreaths and such, I thought I'd pot some up for something a little different this year. My plan backfired when Christmas Eve came and my ten little buckeyes were still just ten little buckeyes. I didn't give them away, but I didn't give up on them either. A few days later they started to shoot out giant roots, followed by delicate little leaves, then great big ones. Now we have a tabletop buckeye forest, and I know what my sister will be getting for Christmas next year.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Shahbaz! But I must beg to differ; while flowers may fade, the memory of their giving will last forever ; ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. With you on this Jaime, whilst lasting gifts (ahem, diamonds are nice!!) can be wonderful, flowers, delicious homemade meals, an amazing bottle of wine, even a good kiss come to that, these fleeting things make powerful memories and enhance life, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! (the sister of the Monkey Flower Group is super excited for Christmas next year) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew. Who knew she read it?? Better be more careful in the future. But there's a load off anyways.

    ReplyDelete