June 29, 2011

Dahlias Done Two Ways


It's time for more vase trials!

This glass one was a too wide and shallow to use the ol' taped top trick, or even the ol' hand-tied trick, so I resorted to the ol' ball of chicken wire (which is easily recycled here through Napa's curbside pick-up or drop-off facility) trick, which worked like a charm. Well, save for the fact that, if someone were to look at the stems really closely, with their ear pressed against the tabletop to get a good view of the arrangement from below, they'd see the wire. Which bothers me. If anyone knows a better way to design in really, really shallow glass (aside from metal frogs, I'm working on gathering enough good ones), please let me know!






Vintage footed silver vases, which avoid the visible mechanics issue altogether, are another option. They'd of course all be slightly different, but I think adds to their charm.





But ah, with dahlias, how could one go wrong?

10 comments:

  1. I think they all look gorgeous! I love the idea of nonmatching vintage silver which seems the easier option. Over here we have glass stem holders, big and small, which sit in the bottom of vases- better than wire? Or a big leaf wrapped around the inside of the vase?? Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both perfect-ly beautiful.

    I would line the glass bowl with green moss and then put a chunk of oasis in it, unless you have an issue with oasis it works well and the moss adds another layer of beauty.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Belinda! Thank you for the suggestions! I did try some glass frogs (same as a glass stem holder, maybe?) that worked fairly well, but the resulting arrangement didn't feel as rock solid stable as I'd like, and I couldn't quite get the right shape with it either : (. The leaf wrap is also a good idea, but I think for this wedding it might be too modern a look. I agree the mismatched vintage silver would be ideal! We'll see where we end up : ). Thank you again for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jane, moss is a great idea! But alas, I do have some issues with Oasis . . . I'm weary of its ingredients (both for environmental and health reasons) and disposal destination (the landfill). But I definitely appreciate its usefulness and understand why it's so common in the industry! It's just not for me, and I've been very, very lucky to work with folks who respect my decision not to use it. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quirky, I know, but I'm kinda liking the visible chicken wire...it being galvanized and all.
    Have you tried dropping a head of hydrangea upside down in the water? It makes a solid frog and looks pretty against the glass. I'm big on footed containers.

    I also like the silver option . Those dahlias are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, Shelley! I will give that a try, and see what we think. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading J and S's cool ideas - Hydrangea sounds interesting or how about your wire hidden by Js moss?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hydrangea idea is brilliant. I usually love the eclectic look of the mismatched silver, but there is something so light about the glass pedestal that the dahlias seems to be floating. In the end though, I'm with you, who can go wrong with dahlias like that—stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make little birch nests, secured with a minimal tape grid at the top of the vase. You get the twiggy look, secure the stems, and mask the stems a little at the same time. You do beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle and Emily, thank you for stopping by and for the kind words! And Emily, what a great idea! I'll give that a try too, probably with some of the curly willow that's going nuts in the garden right now . . . Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete